Experts say “dozens of easy-to-find ‘Superfoods’ can help ward off heart disease, cancer, cholesterol, and more”.
So let’s find out what they are and how we can incorporate them into our daily diets.
Superfoods are a special category of foods that are found in nature. To define them they are calorie sparse and nutrient dense foods giving a lot of punch for their weight. They are superior sources of anti-oxidants and essential nutrients and are extremely nutritious. We have all heard of getting our five a day through fruit and vegetables but even adding more fruit, salads and vegetables into our diets may still not be enough!! There is growing concern over the quality of foods grown on mineral depleted soils and not to mention the pesticides and chemicals that are sprayed on them. Organic food is really recommended and many health bodies have branded the food we eat into “The dirty dozen and the clean 15 foods”. So what are they? The fruits and vegetables on “The Dirty Dozen” list, when conventionally grown, tested positive for at least 47 different chemicals, with some testing positive for as many as 67. For produce on the “dirty” list, you should definitely go organic “The Dirty Dozen” list includes
- Domestic blueberries
- Sweet bell peppers
- Spinach, kale and collard greens
- Imported grapes
All the produce on “The Clean 15” bore little to no traces of pesticides, and is safe to consume in non-organic form. This list includes:
- Sweet corn
- Sweet peas
- Kiwi fruit
- Sweet potatoes
Listed below are some everyday Superfoods to that you should try to include in your diet.
- Tea (green or black)
- Sweet Potatoes
Another favourite Superfood of mine is Spirulina:
Spirulina is a type of blue-green algae that is rich in protein, vitamins, minerals, and carotenoids and antioxidants that can help protect cells from damage. It contains nutrients, including B complex vitamins, beta-carotene, vitamin E, manganese, zinc, copper, iron, selenium, and gamma linolenic acid (an essential fatty acid).
- The super food has over 100 nutrients, more than any other plant, grain or herb.
- Widely used as a food supplement for maintaining health, energy, weight loss and cleansing programs.
- Protein – 60-70% of its weight. 300% more protein than fish, meat or poultry, with no cholesterol.
- Iron – 58x richer than spinach in bio-available iron.
- Vitamin B12 – Natures richest source. Often lacking in a vegetarian diet.
- Chlorophyll – 2x richer than barley grass or wheatgrass.
- Anti-oxidants – 25x richer in beta-carotene than carrot and 3x richer in Vitamin E than wheat germ.
- Assists weight loss by curbing appetite naturally while supplying a full range of nutrients needed for a balanced diet.
- As an unrefined wholefood, Spirulina is absorbed up to x16 more effectively than synthetic multi-vitamin and mineral supplements.
Written by Nichola.