Hi everyone! Welcome to this week’s Change your Health Direction blog with me, Avril Reilly. I have been talking to my customers a lot about Coconut Oil these days; it’s one of the first small steps I encourage my weight-loss participants to take. Our programme is all about make small, manageable changes that can make a real difference. And adding Coconut Oil to your life WILL make a difference, I promise!
This oil has numerous health and beauty benefits but the most important aspect that I wish to highlight to our participants is its use in cooking and baking as it is ‘heat-stable’. Other oils such as sunflower, rapeseed and olive oil should not be used at high temperatures as they are converted to free-radicals which can be detrimental to long-term health. Free radicals are seriously bad news to our bodies and have been linked with numerous chronic medical conditions as well as cancers. I cannot stress enough how critical it is to use a heat-stable oil such as Coconut Oil when cooking. It also adds a beautiful flavour so its win-win!
I often recommend Coconut Oil to those who are struggling with cravings as a teaspoon just taken off the spoon can be so satiating. And for those in need of a chocolate hit, just mix in a little organic cocoa powder.
There is also a lot of evidence to suggest that Coconut Oil can contribute to weight loss by increasing feelings of fullness and boosting metabolism by improving thyroid function. Unlike other saturated fats, Coconut Oil is composed of medium chain triglycerides which are rapidly metabolised to provide an excellent source of energy, rather than being stored as fat. Personally, I love to stir a spoon of Coconut Oil into my herbal tea when I am in need of a tasty energy boost!
Not only is Coconut Oil amazing for stir-frying but it can also be used as a substitute for margarine or butter when baking, as well as being a great spread or a healthy boost in smoothies.
As if it all that wasn’t good enough, Coconut Oil also has numerous beauty benefits, most of which I have tried and tested myself!
- It can be used to remove eye make-up; just rub some between the hands to turn it into a liquid and smear over the eye-lids, then remove with cotton wool and rinse if desired.
- It can also be used as a moisturiser although some people do find it a little heavy on the skin.
- Some say it’s amazing for preventing stretch marks when used as a body moisturiser.
- Super-smooth shaving is simple – just use in place of shaving gel.
- Excellent for dry, chapped hands, and there is evidence to show that it can help to heal small wounds and abrasions.
- Use it as a lip balm – tastes amazing!
- Mix it with sea-salt or sugar for a very effective, inexpensive body scrub.
- Use it as a hair mask – just use it in place of a conditioner and leave in the hair for 20 minutes before rinsing well. You can wrap your hair in a hot towel to help it to absorb into the hair. I actually apply it to my hair and scalp once a week and leave it in overnight. (Just make sure to leave yourself time to wash it out the next morning or you are in for a seriously bad hair day!!!)
We are now stocking Organic Raw Virgin Coconut Oil 500ml online and in selected branches of LloydsPharmacy for the great value price of €9.99. This is an exceptional, high-quality, multi-use product which every household should have!
Make sure to check out our new Recipe Blog, where LloydsPharmacy colleagues share their very own Healthy Meal ideas. Coconut Oil of course features in lots of them!
Best of luck to everyone changing their own health direction this week!
Written by Avril Reilly, LloydsPharmacy Governy Square Carlow