How time flies when you’re having fun (and eating great food)… can you believe it’s our 12th and final week of recipes by nutritional therapist Pamela! We hope you’ve enjoyed it as much as we have. But fear not, you can still find more amazing recipes on Instagram @the_healthonist and at www.thehealthonist.com
This weeks recipe is (Golden) Milk & Cookies, enjoy!
Turmeric. The golden spice associated with Indian cuisine has been used for centuries, particularly in Ayurveda (the ancient healing system of India) for its powerful healing properties. It’s no surprise then, that scientists soon became interested in the seemingly magical medicinal properties of this golden root.
Curcumin – the main bioactive compound found in turmeric root is probably one of the most heavily researched compounds in the world in relation to its potent anti-inflammatory effects. This compound has been proven effective in treating inflammation, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, Alzheimer’s disease, cognitive decline and multiple sclerosis as well as being effective in preventing the progression of some cancers. I love when science and ancient wisdom agree!
As curcumin is not easily absorbed into cells on its own, it is often taken with black pepper and coconut oil or milk to enhance absorption so the recipes here optimise the bioavailability of curcumin. Whats more, golden milk is a particularly effective tonic for balancing female hormones and may be an effective in reducing the pain and inflammation associated with PMS, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids and Endometriosis and for balancing blood sugars. This is my version of milk & cookies – no dairy, gluten or refined ingredients….
Turmeric & Ginger Cookies (Makes about 12)
- 125g ground almonds
- 100g organic gluten free oats, ground into a coarse flour using a food processor
- 1/3 cup organic maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons organic ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon organic ground ginger
- Line a baking tray with parchment and pre-heat the oven the 180 degrees celsius.
- In a bowl combine all the ingredients to form a crumbly dough that sticks together easily when pressed.
- Take heaped tablespoons of mixture and shape it into balls using your hands. Place onto the baking tray and press down lightly with the base of a small glass.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes until the cookies are golden. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire wrack. As the cookies cool they will become more crunchy.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Golden Milk (Makes 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 heaped teaspoon organic virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup unsweetened nut milk (almond, coconut, hazelnut, hemp etc)
- 1/2 teaspoon organic maple syrup, raw honey or coconut palm sugar.
- In a small bowl mix the turmeric, cinnamon, black pepper and coconut oil to make a paste.
- Transfer to a small saucepan and heat gently for a minute then pour in your chosen milk.
- Heat gently for about 5 minutes (do not boil).
- To serve, pour the golden milk into a cup and add a 1/2 teaspoon organic maple syrup, raw honey or coconut sugar to taste.