Whole nuts and seeds are some of the best snack foods you can eat. Despite being high in fat they are incredibly nutrient dense, to the extent that nuts and seeds rank 3rd in the top 10 most nutrient dense foods (it should please you to know that cacao also made the cut!). In fact evidence indicates that nut consumers have a lower BMI (body mass index) and nuts contribute to weight control due to their strong satiety effects.
Almonds are a favourite due to their impressive nutrient profile. A 1-ounce serving (about 28g grams) provides 6g protein, 3.5g fiber and over 30% of the recommended daily allowance of antioxidant vitamin E and manganese – a mineral with multiple superpowers, including helping antioxidants to function properly and controlling blood sugar levels.
This recipe makes about 10 handfuls and can be stored in an airtight glass jar for weeks. These are deliciously crunchy with a hint of sweet and salt, making them ever-so-slightly irresistible so stick to a cupped handful (which provides an average serving). Squirrel them away in your desk drawer and grab a handful during the afternoon to see you through until dinner.
(makes 2.5 cups: approx.10x 1oz servings)
- 250g whole almonds
- 30g coconut shavings
- 1 heaped tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 Tbsp optima raw virgin organic coconut oil* (at room temperature i.e. liquid)
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup (or 2 Tbsp nua naturals coconut palm sugar*)
- 1/2 Tbsp medium-hot curry powder
- pinch of dried chilli flakes
- pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 170 Celsius (325 Fahrenheit). Line a large baking tray with parchment.
- In a large bowl mix the coconut oil, maple syrup, curry powder, chilli and sea salt flakes. Add the almonds, coconut and sesame seeds. Mix well ensuring the nuts are well coated.
- Spread the mixture in one layer onto the baking tray and put into the oven. Roast for about 25 minutes (check after 15 minutes to ensure the coconut is not burning, cover with foil if necessary).
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely. As the mixture cools the nuts will become crunchy!
- Store in cool place, in an airtight glass jar.
|NUTRITION INFORMATION PER 1 ounce serving|
|A source of protein, fiber, magnesium, manganese & vitamin E|
PAMELA RYAN | NUTRITIONIST | CORPORATE NUTRITION + YOGA
*Ingredients available in LloydsPharmacy Stores