This classic combination gets a healthy overhaul! Coconut, a hint of cayenne pepper, fresh lime, mint and sweet peas make for a light, summertime dish. Serve with a big salad of fresh leafy greens or stuff them inside wholegrain pitta breads for a great picnic lunch. We won’t mind if you add a little tomato ketchup on the side either!
Serves: 2 | Cooking Time: 25 minutes | Rating: Simple
Free From: gluten, wheat, cow’s dairy, refined sugar and meat
- 2 fresh cod fillets (about 250g – 300g)
- 40g coconut flour, almond flour or gluten free plain flour
- 1 large free-range egg
- 50g desiccated coconut
- A good pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tbsp Optima raw virgin coconut oil*
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4-5 fresh mint leaves
- Juice of half a lime
- 2 tbsp water
- A pinch of sea salt
- Fresh mixed leafy greens
- A good quality natural tomato ketchup (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200 C (400 F).
- Crack the egg into a small bowl and lightly beat. Lay out two small plates, one with the coconut flour and the other with the desiccated coconut.
- Slice the fish into finger-width strips.
- Coat the fish strips with the flour, dipping them into the egg and then coat them with the desiccated coconut.
- Lay each coated strip carefully onto a non-stick baking tray. Sprinkle the goujons with sea salt, cayenne pepper and drizzle over the coconut oil.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden.
- Meanwhile prepare the smashed peas. Place the peas into a large bowl and cover with boiling water until thawed. Drain in a sieve and plunge into cool water to stop the peas from losing their colour.
- Tip the peas into a blender or food processor. Add the mint leaves, water, lime juice and a pinch of sea salt. Pulse the peas a few times until crushed (you could also do this with a fork, just make sure to finely chop the mint leaves first).
- Transfer the smashed peas to a serving bowl. Remove the fish goujons from the oven and pile onto a serving dish with mixed leafy greens. Serve.
Created by: Pamela Ryan Qualified Nutritionist
*Available in LloydsPharmacy Stores