A tasty and filling winter salad…
◊ Make as a light supper then get a couple of lunches out of it the following days.
◊ A high fibre, nutrient dense salad powered with plant protein & iron.
◊ Rocket leaves and apple cider vinegar enhance digestion whilst quinoa, onion & seeds are prebiotic which means they support your gut health.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- ½ tsp paprika (optional)
- 1.5 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 + ¾ cups vegetable stock
- 4 fistfuls rocket leaves
- 100g feta cheese, cut into cubes
- 2tbsp. red/pink onion – very finely diced
- 2tbsp. toasted seed mix (e.g. pumpkin, sunflower seeds)
- 1 tbsp. dried cranberries
Dressing (whisk to together in a cup)
- 3tbsp. virgin olive oil
- 1.5 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. agave/honey
- Pinch black pepper
- Set oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into bit sized cubes.
- Toss with the olive oil & paprika and spread out evenly on a baking tray. Roast in the oven for approx. 20-25 mins, tossing half way through. Remove from oven when tender and caramelized and allow to cool.
- While the potatoes are cooking, rinse the quinoa under cold water in a sieve then add to a pot of vegetable stock. Bring to a boil then simmer uncovered for approx. 20 mins, stirring occasionally. Turn off the heat, cover pot with a lid then allow to sit for another 5 mins. Fluff with a fork and allow to cool.
- Add the quinoa to a large salad bowl, stir in the finely chopped onion followed by the sweet potato. Pour the dressing over and mix to combine. *Throw in the rocket and toss the ingredients together with your hands. Top with cubes of feta and sprinkle with the seeds mix and dried cranberries.
Notes: This salad can be served warm or cold and keeps well in the fridge for 2-3 days. *If you plan to get a few days out of this salad, then you could add fresh rocket to each serving as you go instead of mixing it in from the start.
Elsa Jones is a qualified Nutritional Therapist and author of bestselling book ‘Goodbye Sugar’. She works as a nutrition consultant in a Dublin practice and also internationally via her online nutrition programs. She specialise’s in motivational weight management combining effective nutrition & mind-set strategies. www.elsajonesnutrition.ie