There are lots of great smoothie recipes available these days, and for the most part it, if you combine any fruit or veg with a liquid, you’ve got a great meal. But I wanted to create something that has a little more nutritional purpose
using foods that are truly evidence based as being effective in supporting the immune system, brain function, energy levels and reducing inflammation. Each of the ingredients here has been carefully considered for their nutrition density – leafy greens, blueberries, walnuts and cacao contain potent antioxidants that protect our cells and tissues from damage, omega-3 fatty acids (DHA, EPA and ALA) in Eskimo Fish Oils and Walnuts (respectively) support brain health and reduce inflammation, and plain Greek yogurt is a great source of protein. Shine plant based protein powder provides an added protein boost, along with its other ingredients such as spirulina which provides a number of essential B vitamins and iron. The fish oils are of course optional, but I guarantee there is no strange taste and is a great way of including fish oils in your diet if you find it hard to take directly off the spoon! Serves two as a meal or divide into four as an accompaniment to breakfast or as an afternoon snack
Serves 2-4 | Preparation Time: 5 minutes | Rating: Easy
Nutrition: approx. 323 calories per serving. Protein-rich, a source of omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants.
*you will need a blender / hand blender
- 2 cups cold water (ice optional)
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves (washed)
- 125g blueberries (fresh or frozen, washed)
- 150g 0%-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 banana, peeled and sliced
- 1 heaped tablespoon Shine Protein (available in LloydsPharmacies nationwide)
- 1oz (about 28g) raw walnut halves
- 2 squares (20g) 85% cacao dark chocolate
- 1-2 teaspoons of Eskimo-3 Pure Omega Fish Oil (available in LloydsPharmacies nationwide)
- Pour the water into a a large blender cup, add the spinach and blueberries and pulse to break down.
- Remove the lid, add the remaining ingredients, and blend again until smooth.
- Divide between 2 glasses and serve (can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 days)
Created by: Pamela Ryan Qualified Nutritionist*
* Pamela Ryan (Dip.NT, NTOI) is a Qualified Nutritional Therapist recognised by the Nutritional Therapists of Ireland (NTOI), the professional association supporting qualified nutritional therapists. All NTOI members study biomedicine and nutrition for a minimum of 3 years at a recognised college, are trained in clinical practice and must comply with NTOI requirements for Continuous Professional Development (CPD). Nutritional Therapy is an evidence-based approach to maximising health through individually formulated nutrition and lifestyle strategies. Pamela continues to attend training and lectures on a regular basis through various bodies including The Institute of Functional Medicine and The Institute of Health Sciences. These trainings help her to gain increased expertise in the ever advancing field of nutrition.