This frittata recipe is both a nutritious family favourite and easy to prepare. It stores incredibly well in the fridge so you can enjoy it during the week for lunch. I’m using some of the most delicious summer vegetables, asparagus and peas. There are so many benefits to eating in season from fresh and cheaper vegetables to supporting local Irish producers. Seasonal eating also provides variety throughout the year, so you benefit from a wide range of nutrients delivered as nature intended!
Serves: 4 | Cooking Time: 20 minutes | Rating: Simple
Free From: gluten, wheat, cow’s dairy, refined sugar and meat
- 2 teaspoons Optima raw virgin coconut oil*
- 1 shallot, peeled and finely diced (about 1 ounce)
- 250g asparagus spears, trimmed (about 200g trimmed)
- 130g fresh or frozen peas
- 100g feta cheese
- 8 whole free-range eggs (medium size)
- A pinch of sea salt flakes
- A good pinch of freshly ground black peppercorns
- To serve: leafy greens such as rocket, watercress, baby spinach, lambs lettuce
- Preheat oven to 200 C (390 F). Crack 8 whole eggs into a bowl, season with salt and pepper and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of coconut oil on a griddle pan and add the trimmed asparagus spears. Fry on a medium heat until slightly charred (about 3-5 minutes). Remove from the pan and set aside to cool.
- Heat the remaining oil in a deep cast iron (ovenproof, non-stick) skillet over a medium heat and and add the finely diced shallots. Fry gently to soften before adding the peas (no need to defrost frozen peas if using).
- Arrange the asparagus spears on top of the pea and shallot mixture and crumble over half of the feta cheese.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the top of the vegetables and cook over a medium heat until the mixture begins to ‘catch’ the edges of the pan.
- Crumble over the remaining feta cheese and transfer the pan to the oven. Cook for 8-10 minutes (fan ovens will take less time – approx. 8 minutes).
- The frittata is ready when the centre of the mixture jiggles very slightly to touch. The residual heat will continue to cook the eggs.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving. Transfer to plates and serve with seasonal leafy greens such as rocket or watercress.
Created by: Pamela Ryan Qualified Nutritionist
*Available in LloydsPharmacy Stores