If you like to meal prep lunches in advance this salad is a great option as it holds well in the fridge for up to 3 days. It’s high in fibre and prebiotics which help to maintain a healthy gut. Chickpeas are a good source of plant based protein and iron and keep you full for hours. The olive oil delivers heart healthy fats whilst the colourful veg delivers a variety of vitamins and antioxidants. Now that’s food to feel good about.
Ingredients (serves 2- 4)
- 1 can organic chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- ½ red/yellow pepper, finely chopped (I use sweet mini peppers)
- ½ sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 small cucumber, diced
- 1-2 tbsp. black olives
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1tsp honey/agave
- A good pinch of sea salt & black pepper
- To a large salad bowl, add the chickpeas, peppers, sweet onion, cucumber and olives.
- In a cup stir together the oil, vinegar, honey and seasoning.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well to combine.
- Top with the crumbled feta and chopped parsley and refrigerate until ready to eat.
Note: you can make this a more filling meal by adding some cooked cous cous or quinoa to the salad or serving alongside a piece of chicken/fish etc.
Elsa Jones is a qualified Nutritional Therapist and author of bestselling book ‘Goodbye Sugar’. She works as a nutrition consultant in a Dublin practice and also internationally via her online nutrition programs. She specialise’s in motivational weight management combining effective nutrition & mind-set strategies. www.elsajonesnutrition.ie