Greek yogurt or ‘the yogurt of the Gods’ is a superfood in itself with more than double the amount of protein and gut-friendly probiotics than regular yogurt. It makes an ideal breakfast as the protein and fat content keep you fuller for longer. I recommend using an authentic full-fat Greek yogurt such as ‘Fage Total’ which is simply milk and live active bacteria – no preservatives, no powdered milk or powdered anything!
For breakfast I like to customise my yogurt with a variety of toppings. Try fresh orange chunks with chopped 85% dark chocolate and chopped almonds, strawberries with pistachio nuts or walnut, fig and cinnamon.
Superfood Add-Ons: I don’t use the word ‘superfood’ lightly. Any food listed here has pretty hard evidence to suggest its particularly beneficial to our health. Here’s a line up of some evidence-based options….
- Spirulina powder: a powdered blue-green algae that contains 55% to 70% protein. There is firm evidence that spirulina can improve fat (lipid) and sugar (glucose) metabolism, whilst reducing liver fat and protecting the heart! Spirulina has also been shown to reducing sneezing and stuffy nose. It can taste like pond water on its own but its great in smoothies or stirred into yogurt with a little honey and dried fruit.
- Hulled Hemp Seeds: contain all the essential fatty acids (omega 3, 6 and 9), are high in fibre and contain about 33% protein. Because of their rich nutrient profile, hemp seeds may reduce the risk of heart disease, improve skin health and reduce symptoms of PMS or Menopause, making them a great little all-rounder.
- Raw Cacao: I love when science justifies my love of a particular food! Cacao is rich in fibre, iron, magnesium, copper, manganese, potassium, phosphorous and zinc. It is listed amongst the Top 10 most nutrient dense foods on the planet and is a powerful source of antioxidants. Dig in!
- Blueberries: Dark berries are rich in anthocyanins that have antioxidant properties found to reduce damage to our cells. They have been shown to improve memory in older people and are rich in fibre whilst having low levels of natural fruit sugars.
- Raw Honey: A tablespoon of honey contains about 17 grams of sugar but it hands-down beats refined table sugars when it comes to its antioxidant content and plant compounds found in high quality honey such as Manuka honey or unpasteurised raw honey that hasn’t been exposed to heat. Go easy on serving sizes, a teaspoon should suffice!
YOU WILL NEED: Full fat plain Greek yogurt (about 125g per person) or 100g dairy-free alternative such as CoYo; a selection of nuts, seeds, nut butters, berries and ‘superfood’ add-ons. Featured bowls…..
MANGO + SPIRULINA:
- 125g Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tbsp spirulina powder or Superlife Superfood Mix*
- 1 tsp raw honey or Manuka honey
- 1 ounce dried mango (I like ‘Crazy Jacks’ with no added sugar or preservatives such as sulphites)
- 1/2 tbsp Nua Naturals hulled hemp seeds*
Instructions: Combine the yogurt, spirulina powder and honey to create a creamy-green consistency. Add toppings.
COCONUT YOGURT, MACA + BLUEBERRY (V)
- 100g vanilla coconut yogurt (I use Coyo)
- 1 teaspoon nua naturals maca powder*
- 1 ounce coconut chips*
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
Instructions: Combine the coconut yogurt and maca powder. Add toppings.
BANANA, CACAO + COCONUT BUTTER:
- 125g plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp Nua Naturals raw cacao powder*
- 1 tsp Nua Naturals raw cacao nibs*
- 1/2 sliced banana
- 1/2 – 1 tbsp melted coconut butter (or peanut / almond butter)*
Instructions: Combine the yogurt and cacao powder. Add toppings.
CACAO-QUINOA-CHIA CRUNCH (more preparation required!)
To make the Cacao-Quinoa-Chia Crunch topping: in a bowl combine 40g quinoa pops, 20g chia seeds*, 35g cacao powder*, 2tbsp cacao nibs*, 40g coconut chips*. Melt 6 tbsp coconut oil* with 4 tbsp maple syrup and add to the dry ingredients. Mix well. Spread onto a baking tray and let set in the fridge until hard and crumbly. Store in an airtight container. Makes about 10x 40g servings. Serve sprinkled over your Greek yogurt or as a cereal with your favourite nut milk (I like hazelnut milk for this).
|Mango + Spirulina||275||7g||15g||43g||21g||1g|
|Vanilla Coyo, Blueberry + Maca||367||30g||5g||19g||11g||5g|
|Banana, Cacao + Coconut Butter||318||19.4g||13g||24.1g||14g||4.1g|
|Cacao Quinoa Crunch||278||18g||14g||17g||10g||3g|
PAMELA RYAN | NUTRITIONIST | CORPORATE NUTRITION + YOGA
*Available in LloydsPharmacy Stores